The much-anticipated new Lexus UX self-charging hybrid crossover will make its dynamic world premiere at Goodwood 2018, giving British car fans the chance to see the forthcoming SUV up close for the first time.
First unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March, UX is a new gateway vehicle for Lexus, rich in the qualities that define the brand: brave design, superior craftsmanship, exhilarating performance and imaginative technology.
A pre-production version of the UX crossover in F Sport trim will be on the Lexus stand at Goodwood, months ahead of the vehicle going on sale in the UK in 2019. Fans can also see it making a global dynamic debut on the hill climb. Overseen by chief engineer Chika Kako, the vehicle promises to be a new genre of crossover, an Urban Explorer that offers a fresh take on luxury lifestyles.
Miss Kako said: “Right from the start, I focused on the target customer – mid-30s, millennial, men and women – and tried to understand how they would expect a premium compact vehicle to change their lives and enable new experiences. That’s what led us to the basic vehicle concept for the UX of Creative Urban Explorer.”
Goodwood guests will have the chance to look at UX’s key features:
- Stylish and distinctive exterior design execution generates a unique vehicle identity, combining a secure and spacious feel yet with a condensed appearance
- Compact, driver-centric cockpit with a commanding view of the road
- The Interior includes a new trim finish inspired by the grain of Japanese paper and traditional sashiko leather upholstery quilting
- First Lexus built on the new GA-C platform, delivering the lowest centre of gravity in its class and exceptional body rigidity, securing agile, hatchback-like driving experience
- The new, fourth-generation self-charging hybrid system in the UX 250h with higher efficiency and a more powerful electric motor
UX forms the centrepiece of a huge display of Lexus cars, both static and taking part in Goodwood’s famous hill climb with some famous racing names.
Sharing the main stand with UX at Goodwood 2018 will be the stunning LC 500 V8 coupe, the NX and RX F Sport SUVs, the new seven-seat RX L, the stunning RC F 10th Anniversary V8 coupe (also making its UK debut), the new RC 300h Black Edition, and the luxurious new LS 500h.
UX forms the centrepiece of a huge display of Lexus cars
Fans can also watch American racing legend Scott Pruett charge the mighty RC F GT3 race car up the hill, and British racers Abbie Eaton and Jack Hawksworth attack the climb in the legendary Lexus LFA and RC F Cup respectively.
Lexus UK director Ewan Shepherd said: “We’re really excited that British car fans will be among the first in the world to get up close to the Lexus UX. It will be a really important car for us in the UK, giving a whole new sector of car buyers the opportunity to experience legendary Lexus quality as well as the brave design and craftsmanship built into every one of our cars.”
All information was correct at the time of publishing.